Cary L. Flitter
Cary Flitter is not just another attorney – he is a highly respected expert in consumer law. Many of his cases have broken new ground, helping to shape the law itself and set the precedent for cases yet to come. For this reason, media outlets ranging from Time magazine to FOX News have sought Cary’s legal input.
Cary is founding partner in Flitter Milz P.C., and a member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey bars. He has more than 30 years of trial experience in federal and state courts, in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and in courts throughout the United States.
Cary has built much of his practice around litigating cases on behalf of consumers against debt collectors, car repossession, banks and finance companies, insurance companies, car dealers and credit reporting agencies. He has represented clients, as individuals and in class actions, in consumer lending, unfair debt collection, vehicle financing and leasing overcharges, credit reporting, credit privacy, product warranty, identity theft, and other consumer cases. Cary also represents life insurance beneficiaries for benefits due under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and other state and federal statutes.
A Philadelphia native and graduate from Philadelphia’s distinguished Central High School (231), Mr. Flitter received his bachelor’s degree in Finance from Philadelphia University and his law degree from the Widener University School of Law. He is a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and the renowned Trial Lawyers College.
Currently, Cary serves on the adjunct faculty at Temple University's James E. Beasley School of Law and the Widener University School of Law, where he teaches Consumer Law & Litigation, including class action practice. From 1991 to 1999, he served on the adjunct faculty at Philadelphia University’s School of Business, teaching Commercial Law. Cary has accepted invitations to guest lecture on consumer law issues at Harvard Law School, University of Pennsylvania School of Law and many other venues. Cary has been invited by the Federal Trade Commission to participate in its fact-gathering and present the consumers' interests in regulation of debt collectors.
Cary is a contributing author to Pennsylvania Consumer Law, the leading legal treatise in Pennsylvania on consumer law issues, and Consumer Class Actions published by the National Consumer Law Center in Boston. He has also published articles on consumer credit protection for lawyer and lay audiences in national, regional and local publications.
Cary has served on the Board of Directors of the Montgomery Bar Association, and has co-chaired the Bar Association’s Federal Courts Committee regularly since 2000.
- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law - Adjunct Professor, Consumer Law and Litigation, 2009 - Present
- Widener University School of Law - Adjunct Professor, Consumer Law and Litigation, 1999 - Present
- Philadelphia University School of Business - Adjunct Professor, Commercial Law, 1991 - 1998
Academic Guest Lectures in Consumer Law
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, 2007
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, 2011
- University of Maryland, Francis King Carey School of Law, Baltimore, MD, 2011
- University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City, UT, 2009
- University of Houston Center for Consumer Law, Houston, TX, 2008
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, WA, 2010, 2011
- Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2008
Awards and Honors
Montgomery Bar Association
Henry Stuckert Miller Public Service Award by Lawyers- 2013
Montgomery Bar Assoication's prestigious award in recognition of extraordinary service to the legal community
Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network (PLAN)
Excellence Award - 2013
Presented to legal professionals for their efforts in support of clients served by the civil legal programs of PLAN
Widener University School of Law:
Alumnus of the Year – 2011
Presented to an alumnus who, through service to community or profession, or by honors received, service rendered or other accomplishments, has brought honor, recognition and distinction to the Widener University School of Law
Outstanding Service Award -1998
Dedication and service to the legal community
- American Jurisprudence Award for Scholarship 1980, Corporations and Partnerships
Pennsylvania Bar Association:
- Pro Bono Award recipient, 2011
- Jeffrey A. Ernico Award for Support of Legal Services to the Public 2006
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania:
- Magistrate Judge Selection Panel 2006, 2007
Montgomery Bar Association:
- Co-Chair of the Federal Courts Committee 2000; 2002-2012
- Committee of the Year Award (2000)
Pennsylvania Consumer Law, Bisel Publishing Co., 2003, Supp. 2012. Contributing Author.
- The leading legal treatise in Pennsylvania on consumer law issues.
- Consumer Class Actions, 5th Ed., National Consumer Law Center, Boston, MA. Contributor
- Trial Lawyers College, 2009
- Widener University School of Law – JD, 1981
National Institute for Trial Advocacy:
- Trial Skills and Methods – University of Pennsylvania, 1986
- Federal and State Court Motion Practice – University of Denver, 1990
Philadelphia University - BS Finance, 1976
- Recipient, 1997 Hughes Award for the Advancement of Scholarship
- President, Alumni Board 1990-92.
- Member, Board of Trustees, 1990-92.
- United States Supreme Court (1999)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1983)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (1990)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (2001)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (1981)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (1995)
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey (1981)
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska (2000)
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (1981)
- Supreme Court of New Jersey (1981)