Nearly all automated calls to mobile phones are illegal in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but that hasn’t stopped telemarketers and debt collection companies from using auto-dialers to reach consumers.
In some cases, the caller will deliberately falsify the information sent to your caller ID to mask their identity, a practice known as spoofing.
The FCC has taken a variety of actions against these companies, including:
- Issuing hundreds of millions of dollars in fines
- Allowing phone companies to block certain kinds of calls that are likely to be illegal before they can get to consumers
- Giving customers the ability to use call blocking or labeling services
- Working with phone companies on caller ID authentication
Hot to stop robocalls
If you believe you’re received and illegal call or text, you can file a complaint with the FCC. The commission also offers these tips to stop unwanted robocalls and protect yourself from phone scams:
- Do not answer calls from numbers you don’t recognize. If you do answer, hang up right away.
- Was the call Spoofed? Remember that a caller ID displaying a local number doesn’t always mean that you’re getting a local call.
- Recorded Voices – If you receive a call that tells you to hit a certain button to end the calls, just hang up. There’s no magic “report robocall” button. Having you press a button during your call is something scammers do to identify future targets.
- Never give out personal information – You do not need to provide any personal identifying information, such as your Social Security number, passwords, bank account numbers, etc. – to an unexpected caller.
- Set a password for your voicemail. Some voicemail services are set up to let users access messages by calling their own number. A hacker could spoof your number and get into your voicemail if you haven’t created a password.
- Be wary of callers who immediately ask for information.
- Talk to your phone company about Call Block technology. You can download mobile apps that can block unwanted calls.
- Register your number for the Do Not Call List. Reputable telemarketing companies will review the numbers on this list and take care to avoid them.
Seek Legal Help
Flitter Milz is a nationally recognized consumer protection law firm that represents victims of unwanted robocalls. Contact us today to find out how we can help you fight for your rights.