How can I protect myself from identity theft?
Identity Theft: Precautions to Keep Your Information Secure
- Never carry your social security card or other documents with your social security number in your wallet.
- When creating a new password, do not use obvious names, numbers, or sequences.
- Do not leave ATM, credit card, or gas receipts with the merchant.
- Do not leave receipts in your car.
- Always remember to destroy private records and statements. Shred credit card statements, solicitations, and any other documents that contain private financial information.