Debt Collectors must follow the law...
Collectors are subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) when attempting to collect debt from consumers for personal or household obligations, such as credit cards, medical bills, utilities or personal loans.
...whether a debt is owed or not.
Collectors may be in violation of the FDCPA when they:
"Unfair Debt Collection Practices" - Attorney Cary Flitter
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
The FDCPA provides legal protections for consumers from a collector's abusive collection tactics. If a collector has violated the FDCPA the consumer may pursue a lawsuit against the collector, and the collector will be responsible for legal fees.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act provides protections for consumers from a collector's abusive tactics.
“When bill collectors called my grandmother about my hospital bills, she not only found out about my debt, but also private information about my medical condition. Flitter Milz put a stop to it.”
Flitter Milz has helped people like you fight against abusive collection agencies and law firms for over 20 years.
Contact us today, for a free legal review of collection calls or letters you’ve received. Whether you fell behind on payments
or not, if the collector violated the law, you can sue and the collector will be responsible for the legal fees.
Our lawyers don’t just practice consumer law – they litigate the tough cases that make new law.
No Charge Consultation. No Ongoing Fees.
1. 8 Tips for dealing with debt collectors
2. How do I know if the debt collector is legitimate?
3. What to do if debt collectors contact your family members
4. Tips for Older Americans in Debt
5. Co-signing a loan: All Risk, Little Reward
6. How does a “Charge-Off” affect the consumer?
7. Why is the same debt listed multiple times on my credit reports?
8. How a Judgment Affects Your Credit
9. How to Pay Off Credit Card Debt
10. What to do if you’re sued for a car loan deficiency
11. Debt Collection Against Military Personnel
12. Collection Contact after a debt is paid
13. Can I be sent to jail if I owe money?
14. Debt collectors must play by the rules
15. Stand Up to Collection Agency Harassment