Do I have rights against the repo agent?
When a wrongful repossession occurs, gather statements from witnesses, take photographs of damaged property, and obtain a police report.
The repossession agent is not permitted to:
- Break into a fenced or locked area, or enter your home or garage without permission.
- Damage the vehicle in hooking or hauling it.
- Damage personal property.
- Threaten or touch you.
- Refuse to leave your property.
- Repossess based on faulty information, for example, suggesting default when you are not in default.